Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Day 14 "Brakes and Paint (Rear Master Cylinder)" 30 Dec 2008

The rear brake cylinder is completely shot, so another re-build is in order, plus lots of cleaning.

The Cap was pretty nasty too.

Considered the cardinal sin of master cylinder rebuilding, you should never, ever, ever re-use the rubber cups, so I honed the cylinder and thought maybe just maybe I could get away with out replacing those cups. So I didn't replace them... I put it all back together bled the brake and once it built up enough pressure, blew out one of the cups. Lesson learned.

Here's the blown out cup. I broke down and bought a kit form a local motorcycle shop and now after a quick bleed down the rear brakes are working. Here's a link to get brake parts for you XS1100. Click here!

BEFORE and AFTER panting the tank.

The Flat black "Rat Rod" transformation has begun, but still has a long way to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Random Pictures Of the Build